Phonics teaching at The Brent is fundamental to learning to read and write.
We have daily phonics lessons in EYFS, Year 1 and Year 2 and teach phonics using the DfES ‘Letters and Sounds’ scheme. We supplement this with other high quality phonic schemes and resources such as Jolly Phonics and Phonics Play
Children are assessed regularly and grouped according to their current development. These groups are fluid.
Letters and Sounds
Letters and Sounds is broken divided into 6 Phases
(ADD IMAGE OR PDF)
Phonics Screening Check
At the end of Year 1 the children will take part in the Government’s Year One Phonics Screening Check. You can read more about this here.
Early development of reading, writing and phonics at home
- Giving children responsibility – shopping lists, notes for family members, cards and letters, diaries
- Experimenting with paper and pens
- Role play – cooking recipes, menus, signs on small world toys
- Finger games – lacing, threading, tweezers with pasta and seeds
- Patterns and tracing
- Writing in sand, flour or glitter
- Magic writing – with water in a bucket and a paintbrush on the pavement. Write a message and then watch it disappear
- Shaving foam
- Gloop (cornflour, food colouring and water)
- Chunky pencils, crayons and pens
- Magnetic letters and a baking tray
- Foam bath letters
- Magazines, picture books and bedtime stories
Support sound pronunciation at home using this video